Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Pledge of Allegiance ruling.

The one thing that struck me listening to the California's school district's response to the ruling on the Pledge of Allegiance case was the amount of money the school district is being forced to spend on the case which they wished could be spent on academics.

Such is the way of ridiculous lawsuits. They waste our time, money, and resources. No one had a problem with "under God" for some 55 yrs and suddenly some guy thinks his child saying it is unconstitutional, and away we go to court. The ironic thing, of course, is that his daughter is a Christian and has no problem with it. It's all about this guy's personal agenda.

Why can't common sense prevail here? I seriously doubt there is a kid in school, whether Christian, Jew, Muslim, or atheist, who cares one way or another about the "under God" part. If they are of a religious faith, they are fine with it, and if they are not, they just don't say that part.

For years I went to the Catholic church with my husband with no intention of becoming Catholic. When they recited the Creed and came to the part of believing in "one Catholic holy and apostolic Church" I would simply not say it. Now I understand that the word "Catholic" means "universal," but then I thought it was endorsing the Catholic faith, so I declined.

Isn't that a bit easier than wasting not only the school district's money and time, but the court's as well?

No one can reasonably argue that this is "an establishment of religion." That is just a farce. Go visit Iran. THERE is an establishment of religion. Compare and contrast.

Regarding the pledge, one absolute truth we know is that the kids are not thinking "hmmm, I question this 'under God' part." Most kids are thinking "Did I study for that history test?" or " Gee, Sarah looks nice in those jeans today."

But we are in the age of lawsuits instead of common sense, and people like the ACLU, with lots of time and resources, want to see an eradication of God from our culture, so we will be seeing ridiculous lawsuits like this from now on.

It seems I have a wealth of atheist commenters (BigDog, Misterpundit, Wonderduck, Erik, andy, the commissar, dave bones, and j andrew just to name a few) Perhaps you guys can give me your perspective on this. Are you bothered by the "under God" words in the Pledge?