Thursday, September 15, 2005

John Roberts and the question that won't be answered.

If you want to see how the hearings are going you can go to several msm news sources here and here and here and here.

But I can save you the time. They are all about what I always said that this nomination is all about to Democrats. Abortion. Abortion. Abortion.

Roberts, who is no fool, very intelligent, and knows Democrats are looking for any little thing to hang their "vote against" hat, had this to say to them:

"It is not a process under which senators get to say: 'I want you to rule this way, this way and this way. And if you tell me you'll rule this way, this way and this way, I'll vote for you.' Judges are not politicians. They cannot promise to do certain things in exchange for votes."

It is sad that it has come to this. Nominees to the highest court of the land are reduced to being badgered about answering a question about one issue in order to get on the court. I suspect that most Democrats will vote for Roberts. If they didn't, they would have to answer why such a qualified and intelligent man is not worthy of their vote, and their answer would have to be...Abortion.

Sometimes I wonder how different the political landscape would be if abortion wasn't a part of it. I can guarantee you that we wouldn't be so "divided."