Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm in The Twilight Zone (bumped)

*I bumped this because I wanted everyone to read the addition at the bottom.

Seriously.

I am a political junkie but I spent the eight years of the Clinton Presidency ignoring the T.V. whenever they were on. I couldn't stand the sight of them (I did watch the "I never had sexual relations with that woman" thing, because who could resist that?). But I am not kidding when I say that in those eight years you could count the hours on one hand that I ever watched the news when the Clinton's were on. It helped that I had a baby in 1992 and another in 1996. They were kind of a distraction...;-)

So it was more than surreal when I started almost....ummm...dare I say...liking Hillary during the primary campaign. That scared me. Because I knew if I was having those feelings, then many many other Americans certainly were. Which is why I was so thrilled when Obama defeated her. I knew that she would be difficult to beat. I was also dismayed at the sexism thrown at Hillary. It was downright weird to be feeling sorry for the way the media and Obama treated her.

Now I'm really in the twilight zone, because I watched Bill Clinton on "The View" and smiled. Did you guys see it??? You must click here and watch this portion. I tried to write down the wonderful things things he said about McCain, but it went on too long for me to keep up. Clinton talked about what a truly non-partisan man McCain is and how he helped Clinton in his Presidency. He talks about how much he likes McCain. He talked of McCain's POW years and why he is a hero. At the beginning when they ask him who is going to win.....he pauses. Then he says "Obama," and then he says why Obama will win, NOT why he should win. There is a difference there and don't think Clinton doesn't know it. He also says that McCain is the only Republican that can win.

I was just smiling.

I can't believe I was sitting there smiling at Bill Clinton.

No reasonable person can watch that interview and not honestly say that Clinton is not still ticked at Obama. He even says that he says these things because he is "a loyal Democrat." Obama played the race card on Clinton and Clinton will not soon forget that.

Look, Obama treated Hillary badly. If Obama loses, Hillary can take another shot at it in 2012. Between this and the way Hillary is treating Sarah Palin practically like a little sister, I think we can safely conclude that the Clintons aren't happy with Obama.

It seems to me they are doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. But I'll take it.

I'll take it.

*Update: And the glowing endorsement continues. Here is Bill Clinton Monday:

Bill Clinton said Monday he understands why Sarah Palin is popular in the heartland: because people relate to her.

"I come from Arkansas, I get why she's hot out there," Clinton said. "Why she's doing well."

Speaking to reporters before his Clinton Global Initiative meeting, the former president described Palin's appeal by adding, "People look at her, and they say, 'All those kids. Something that happens in everybody's family. I'm glad she loves her daughter and she's not ashamed of her. Glad that girl's going around with her boyfriend. Glad they're going to get married.'"
Clinton said voters would think, "I like that little Down syndrome kid. One of them lives down the street. They're wonderful children. They're wonderful people. And I like the idea that this guy does those long-distance races. Stayed in the race for 500 miles with a broken arm. My kind of guy."

......................................

"I get this," Clinton said. "My view is ... why say, ever, anything bad about a person? Why don't we like them and celebrate them and be happy for her elevation to the ticket? And just say that she was a good choice for him and we disagree with them?"

Look at me here...I'm smiling again. Clinton mentioned this new "why do we have to bash those against us?" meme on 'Tthe View as well. That's how he is framing it. I can just imagine the phone call from the Obama people:

Obama people: What the hell are you doing?

Clinton: Who me? Well, I just don't see any reason we can't say nice things about Sarah. It makes us look magnanimous. Yeah, that's it. Magnanimous.

Obama people: You *&% &^^% %$%#