Saturday, September 27, 2008

Debate Stuff

In the beginning I was so bored I thought I might nod off. Then it got better. It was enjoyable seeing Obama getting ticked, although he dare not show it in his answers. But I'll just start by pointing how strange it was that Obama agreeing so much with McCain. Sure Obama was trying to sound moderate as he always does, but to state over and over how right McCain is?

* "I think Senator McCain's absolutely right that we need more responsibility…"

* "Senator McCain is absolutely right that the earmarks process has been abused…"

* "He's also right that oftentimes lobbyists and special interests are the ones that are introducing these…requests…"

* "John mentioned the fact that business taxes on paper are high in this country, and he's absolutely right…"

* "John is right we have to make cuts…"

* "Senator McCain is absolutely right that the violence has been reduced as a consequence of the extraordinary sacrifice of our troops and our military families…"

* "John — you're absolutely right that presidents have to be prudent in what they say…"* "Senator McCain is absolutely right, we cannot tolerate a nuclear Iran…"

(quotes via NRO)

If Obama aim was to come off as a moderate, which he is not, then he accomplished that. Obama is intelligent and smooth and this kind of forum is what he does best. I had to laugh though when he kept raising his hand to Lehrer like they were in a classroom, but I do realize that was part of being polite and civil and you all know how I love that.

I've said this before, McCain needs to stop using the same lines he uses on the campaign trail. In fact, he needs to stop using them on the campaign trail. Just about all of us have heard them. So could someone in his campaign come up with some new lines?

The worst moment for Obama was after John McCain talks about the bracelet he wears with a soldier's name on it that died in combat and Obama says "I have a bracelet too" and he looks down and pauses a moment while he has to read the name.

Naturally McCain came across as more experienced, but to give Obama his due, considering how inexperienced he is, he certainly is a quick study and well informed.

A friend of mine said this to me the other day, and it is true. She said, "you know, Obama may not be President this time, but he will be one day."

So, if this all goes as I hope it does, you people who admire Obama so much could take solace in that. What I hope is that because Obama does seem open to listening to the other side, that he will mold his views in the next few years and actually become the moderate that he professes to be today. I hope also that he will begin to love this country for more for than what it has accomplished with his candidacy. I know Obama loves his country, but not in the same way McCain does. McCain loves this country for all it gives us. Obama loves this country despite it's injustices. There is a difference.

Lastly, I wondered how Kissinger reacted to Obama's statement about him. I got that answer this morning:

Henry Kissinger believes Barack Obama misstated his views on diplomacy with US adversaries and is not happy about being mischaracterized. He says: "Senator McCain is right. I would not recommend the next President of the United States engage in talks with Iran at the Presidential level. My views on this issue are entirely compatible with the views of my friend Senator John McCain. We do not agree on everything, but we do agree that any negotiations with Iran must be geared to reality." (via Stephen Hayes at the Weekly Standard)

I admit I can't be objective. Of course I think McCain won the debate, but Obama certainly held his own.