Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What's Love Got To Do With It?

This article has been getting a lot of attention. It's about men no longer wanting to marry. They would rather watch Southpark re-runs and play video games. The men blame it on the women, and I can see their point to a degree. When your average twenty something year old woman cannot be distinguished from your local hooker in dress or in manner, then I can see a reluctance to go down the aisle.

I could write all day about how I think that society has done just about everything wrong in encouraging happy marriages and welcoming children into this world.

The best and truest spiritual look at sexuality that I am aware of is "The Theology of The Body." But we are about as far from that as a society as I could ever imagine.

On a less serious note, isn't it ironic that at a time when heterosexual men are trying to avoid marriage, homosexual men are fighting to get married?

It's like Kinky Friedman said when running for Governor of Texas, "Gays should be allowed to marry. They have a right to be as miserable as the rest of us." Heh.

In the article linked above the author recieved a response from males that looked like this:

Their argument, in effect, was that the SYM is putting off traditional markers of adulthood—one wife, two kids, three bathrooms—not because he’s immature but because he’s angry. He’s angry because he thinks that young women are dishonest, self-involved, slutty, manipulative, shallow, controlling, and gold-digging. He’s angry because he thinks that the culture disses all things male. He’s angry because he thinks that marriage these days is a raw deal for men.

Wow. Pretty harsh. I'm sure single woman could state an equally damning accusation, because it does go both ways.

It all reminded me of something my very wise Father told me when I was a teenager. He asked me to think of the kind of man I would like to marry. And I did. He then said, "Go and be the kind of woman that man would want to marry then."

These were powerful words spoken by the man I admired and loved most in the world. Those words never left me.

I don't think young women today are trying to be that kind of woman. They are trying to be the kind of woman a man would want that night, not forever. And it seems to me, men are not trying to be any kind of a man, except what brings them instant gratification.

Of course, all of this is a generalization. I know there are many exceptions. But in this sea of confusion and wrong ideas, I wonder how they will find each other?