Friday, November 11, 2005

Veterans Day.

Yesterday, after helping with homework, cooking supper, feeding the kids and cleaning up, I had to rush my 8 yr old to basketball practice. After practice he had to change in the car for his 2nd grade "Patriotic Program."

On the drive there I was grumbling to myself about this silly programs they do at school (you can only imagine how many I have been to). My attitude couldn't have been worse. The kids were dressed in red, white, and blue t-shirts. I was expecting the usual "singing" and boring stuff.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

The gym was decorated with red, white, and blue stars with the names of veterans that each child knew. I had written the names of my Dad and my Father-in-law on a star about a week before, but didn't expect the emotional impact that seeing all those stars and all those names would give me.

About eight older veterans were sitting in the front. We started out with The Pledge of Allegiance and then the Principal asked all those who had served or were serving to come forward for a thank you gift. About 2 dozen came forward and the whole gym interrupted in clapping, cheers, and whoops. No one stopped clapping until the gifts were given out and the Veterans and soldiers sat back down. I was already wiping my eyes.

Then the kids came in. All dressed in red, white and blue waving small flags. My son's class had Uncle Sam's hats on and danced and sang "Yankee Doodle Dandy." There was a great big blue bucket in the middle of the gym and someone read a poem about mixing blue for bravery, white for purity, and red for something I can't remember, and the kids put big pieces of colored confetti in the bucket. Then the poem said to mix it, and they did. And then the poem said we had made "Old Glory." They then pulled out a flag as big as a small room and started "waving" it as they held on to all sides and sang "It's A Grand Ole Flag." The confetti in the middle would fly up and down as they did this. A beautiful sight.

There were more songs and dances and they ended it by playing Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud To Be An American" in which every person in the room sang along and cheered again when the song ended.

It was wonderful. Like an unexpected gift.

Sometimes we need to be reminded who paid the price for our freedoms.

As we left we were given a poem that was written from the perspective of our Flag. The poem was reflecting on how in times past when the American Flag led a parade people would stop and put their hands over their hearts, but not anymore. The Flag in the poem was asking if we had forgotten all the men and women who had died for it? And if we had forgotten all the freedoms our Flag represented? The Flag in the poem then requested that the next time we see our Flag in a parade or elsewhere to stop and put our hand over our heart.

You damn betcha I will.