Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Feminist Icon's Legacy

I used to think of myself as a feminist when I was young. But discovering that abortion was the most important thing to the women's movement made me quickly realize how destructive feminism had become. Destroying the greatest gift we are given in this life goes against everything that is a natural instinct of a woman.

Alice Walker is a feminist icon, but one person discovered that motherhood is not a punishment, but the greatest blessing. That person? Alice Walker's daughter, Rebecca:

The other day I was vacuuming when my son came
bounding into the room. 'Mummy, Mummy, let me help,'
he cried. His little hands were grabbing me around the
knees and his huge brown eyes were looking up at me. I
was overwhelmed by a huge surge of happiness.
I love the way his head nestles in the crook of my
neck. I love the way his face falls into a mask of
eager concentration when I help him learn the
alphabet. But most of all, I simply love hearing his
little voice calling: 'Mummy, Mummy.'


It reminds me of just how blessed I am. The truth is
that I very nearly missed out on becoming a mother -
thanks to being brought up by a rabid feminist who
thought motherhood was about the worst thing that
could happen to a woman. You see, my mum taught me
that children enslave women. I grew up believing that
children are millstones around your neck, and the idea
that motherhood can make you blissfully happy is a
complete fairytale.


In fact, having a child has been the most rewarding
experience of my life. Far from 'enslaving' me,
three-and-a-half-year-old Tenzin has opened my world.
My only regret is that I discovered the joys of
motherhood so late - I have been trying for a second
child for two years, but so far with no luck.


I was raised to believe that women need men like a
fish needs a bicycle. But I strongly feel children
need two parents and the thought of raising Tenzin
without my partner, Glen, 52, would be terrifying.
As the child of divorced parents, I know only too well
the painful consequences of being brought up in those
circumstances. Feminism has much to answer for
denigrating men and encouraging women to seek
independence whatever the cost to their families.


She goes on to describe how she wasn't allowed to play with dolls and was taught that motherhood is a form of slavery.

Alice Walker has not talked to her daughter since she became pregnant because Rebecca questioned her mother's ideology. Rebecca questioned Walker leaving her for months at a time, leaving her on her own at the age of 13 with money to buy food. It seems that neglect was at the heart of Alice Walker's maternal instincts.

This isn't surprising. Feminism demands selfishness. While love demands the opposite.

Rebecca began to have sex at the age of 13 with her mother's knowledge. She also obtained an abortion at the age of 14 with her mother's knowledge and help as well. An act that has haunted Rebecca her whole life.

Such is the legacy of feminists.

Rebecca states:

Feminism has betrayed an entire generation of women
into childlessness. It is devastating.


Although Rebecca's Mom has cut her out of her life and told her that her relationship had been "inconsequential, the happy part is that Rebecca has found her own voice. She has discovered what all loving Mothers know:

I am my own woman and I have discovered what really
matters - a happy family.


h/t BethD