Friday, April 04, 2008

Bill Clinton gets choked up talking about Ron Brown

First Read:

“Today won’t be marked in the same way, but it’s the 12th anniversary of the death of Ron Brown, who was my secretary of Commerce,” he said.
He noted Brown died when his Air Force plane crashed into a mountain in Croatia in the midst of the Bosnian War. He said he has a rock from the mountain where the plane crashed, complete with fragments of the plane. He said Brown’s wife, whom he spoke to earlier today, has one as well.


“That’s when America’s best,” Clinton said. “These people over there, they loved him, because they thought he was trying to get them out of war and into peace, out of poverty and into prosperity. And they thought of America as a place that stood for that.”

Clinton then appeared to get choked up.

“And every time I go home, I look at that rock, and I think of my friend, and the life he should have had,” he said.


It isn't the first time Bill got choked up on cue regarding Ron Brown.

Bill has been on a roll appealing to the black community:

Speaking somewhere near center court at Assembly Hall, Bill Clinton outlined the four main reasons he said voters should pick his wife in the state's May 6 primary. The final reason -- that she is the "best change-maker," inspired Clinton to recall Kennedy's legacy, particularly the role he played after the death of Martin Luther King Jr. 40 years ago.

"When I was the age of a lot of you, I sat with tears in my eyes and watched Bobby Kennedy give that speech here in Indianapolis, when Martin Luther King was dead and I didn't know what in the living daylights had become of my country," he said. "Now, we got all these terrible problems, I know it, but you wanna talk about terrible, that was terrible."

......

Clinton said that he was a student at Georgetown in DC at the time of King's assassination. "The city exploded into flames and I turned my car into an ambulance and I took supplies to the African Americans that were burned out of their homes and were hiding in church basements," he recalled. "It was a long time ago. But I always thought America would have been a very different place if Robert Kennedy had lived, because he wanted to be the candidate of people who had hopes and dreams, and also the candidate of people who could barely keep body and soul together."

Robert Kennedy was also the one who had Dr. King wiretapped and investigated by the FBI on suspicion of being a Communist. But don't let those facts mess up a good story.