Sunday, February 03, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

I'm having a Superbowl party so I have stuff to do (and no, I don't care who wins) but I saw some things on the morning shows I wanted to comment on.

I saw Obama say that there is a time when it is too late and the hour is upon them now. He is completely right there. Super Tuesday will determine it for Obama. It will also say a lot about the future of the Democratic party.

I thought before that Hillary would never ask Obama to be her running mate because she doesn't want someone who would outshine her, but now I think she absolutely will. Nothing means more to her than this Presidency. She charted this road long ago and no one is going to take it from her. If that means asking Obama, she will.

I saw George Clooney on Fox News this morning saying that this is an historic moment. He said "We have a black, a woman, a Mormon, and a senior citizen running for President." An obvious jab at McCain. I suppose one could also say we have a "former druggie, a former first Lady, a Mormon, and a war hero" running for President. It's all in your perspective, isn't it George?

Finally, if you have't been keeping up with the Berkely fiasco, Berkeley City Council’s is trying to get rid of Marine recruitment centers and even went so far as to grant Code Pink special parking privileges and free sound permits to protest the Marine recruiting center.

In other words, the Council has lost it's mind. Code Pinkers go beyond protesting. They are beyond radical. They are shameful and disgraceful and the idea that they can dictate such a thing proves how far off the deep end Berkeley is.

The American Legion and Sen. Jim DeMint put it well:

“This is a slap in the face to all brave service men and women and their families. The First Amendment gives the City of Berkeley the right to be idiotic, but from now on they should do it with their own money. If the city can’t show respect for the Marines that have fought, bled and died for their freedom, Berkeley should not be receiving special taxpayer funded handouts. I am currently drafting legislation to ensure that American taxpayers aren’t forced to pay for this insult by rescinding all of the earmarks for Berkeley in the Omnibus Appropriations bill, and to transfer the funds to the Marine Corps.”

Also, I think I may have a chat room open here all day on Tuesday. You can come and go as you like.