Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Letter to Rush

Here is the letter that Bob Dole sent to Rush. In it he makes the case for McCain:

I was the Republican Leader from January 1985 until I left the Senate voluntarily in June 1996. I worked closely with Senator McCain when he came to the Senate in 1987 until I departed. I cannot recall a single instance when he did not support the Party on critical votes.
(At my age, I cannot be entirely certain but here are a few key conservative examples:)
1. Consistent pro-life record
2. Strong advocate for strict constructionist judges (We were misled on the Souter nomination)
3. Supported voluntary school prayer
4. Supported Constitutional Amendment for a Balanced Budget (needed two-thirds and lost by one vote - 66-34)
5. Strong advocate for reducing spending and opposing pork barrel “ear marks” which has, I might add, angered some of his colleagues
6. Consistent on defending Second Amendment rights
7. Opposed “Hillary Care” which would have been devastating
8. Probably the Senate’s strongest advocate for strong national defense.


He also lists the issues that he disagrees with McCain.

The time is almost upon Republicans where all who disagree with McCain will have to accept him or step out of the process. Today will be the day that either Romney makes enough gains to stop McCain or McCain becomes, for all intent and purposes, our nominee.