Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The McCain legacy.

John McCain's 18 yr old son, Jimmy, has joined the Marines (although the McCain men have been Navy) Another son Jack, who is 20, just completed his first year at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis.

I just thought that was cool enough to mention...;-)

Update: Patrick asked me in the comments why I liked McCain so much. I decided to post my answer so you guys could see too:

Honestly? Politics aside, I don't think we make men like him anymore. Men who are willing to sacrifice so much for their fellow man. He could have left the POW camp. His dad had clout and they offered. But he wouldn't leave his men. I just find that incredible. It says more about him than any issue or any mistake he has made.


Let me add one more thing. McCain and his wife adopted a black child from one of Mother Teresa's orphanges. (She actually looks Indian to me though) That is not a political move. It takes a leap of faith to adopt out of your comfort zone. I worked with adoptive parents for a while and many would not adopt anything but white. They said they just didn't want to have to deal with the questions and stares. How selfish is that???? But McCain didn't care that he was in the public eye. He didn't care about the color of her skin. He saw a child who needed a mom and a dad and he adopted her. Not because he couldn't have kids, he had kids. He just did it anyway when the easiest thing would have been to walk away. He did it anyway. This is a man I could trust as President. That's it.