Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Preachy Hollywood.

What is it with all these politically motivated movies lately?

There is Steven Spielberg's "Munich" which seems to have ticked off Israelis and Palestinians.

Then there is George Clooney's "Goodnight and Good Luck," about CBS reporter Edward R. Murrow's confrontation with anti-Communist witch-hunter Sen. Joseph McCarthy (I read that Clooney forgot to mention the cold war), and "Syriana" a look at corruption in the Middle East oil trade. (Hint. Americans don't look good)

Then there is the "epic love story" of "Brokeback Mountain"

Hollywood seems determined to create their liberal version of events, political intrigue, and social change. Which they are free to do, of course. But I don't think it's going to well for them.

Clooney talks of "critical acclaim" but why wouldn't liberals praise a liberal movie? Why should there be pride in that? Clooney seems to me to be especially angry with the right and determined to spread his political worldview. He says he carries around a worn copy of the U.S. Constitution. (I had to role my eyes at that one)

I have no idea how good these movies are. I don't plan on seeing any of them because I try to make sure my money doesn't end up in the hands of some Democrat candidate.

But it makes me realize how important the internet and cable news is right now, to try and look at all sides of things instead just Hollywood's version of it. In reading about "Munich" I discovered all kinds of viewpoints on message boards and blogs.

I don't need George Clooney's propaganda and it's nice to know we have forces to fight it. Not too long ago the best we could have hoped for is a letter to the Editor of our local newspaper. Now we have the world opened up to us to complain, to editoralize, to counter, to read!

So, watch the movies if you wish, but read opposing viewpoints as well. Who knows? We all just might learn something.