Thursday, December 02, 2004

My top pick for replacing outgoing Sec. of Homeland Security Chief Tom Ridge is Bernard Kerik, the former New York police chief during 9-11 who is presently training Iraqi police.

Before becoming NY's police chief, Kerik was a fearless narcotics detective. He went undercover to buy drugs in Harlem, seized millions of dollars of cocaine from the druglords of the Cali cartel, and was awarded the Police Department's Medal of Valor for saving the life of a fellow officer.

He impressed me during 9-11 with his calm but firm demeanor and determined leadership qualities. I read his memoirs, "The Lost Son: A Life in Pursuit of Justice," a beautifully written story of a tragic life turned around for good.

Any of you who read the post about my father knows that that kind of story truly touches my heart. People who overcome adversity and become great men (or women) seem to always be the kind of person you want in leadership. It is the kind of leader who understands what life can do to us and how to rise above it. In Iraq, he is dubbed the "Baghdad Terminator" for his no-nonsense style in rebuilding the city's police force.

The day before the election Kerik wrote a piece in the NY Post on why he was voting for Bush. Go read it, it will make you even more proud of your vote.


And then in the not so important news category, Caroline Kennedy is once again auctioning off some Kennedy items with Sothby's auction because " I found myself again with more houses and belongings than I could possibly use or enjoy." I feel that way all the time. Don't you? I even have some of the 'stuff' she is auctioning off. Thats right, lil ole me, one of the masses. I never make quite that much for my stuff at my garage sales though. Here are a few of the items:

"A fibreglass kitchen tray, some old suitcases, chipped china and a few tumblers.
A pair of folding suitcase racks described as "mid-20th century" and incomplete sets of crockery ($150-$200) as well as tables with nicks and what the New York Times describes as "painted pieces [that] are missing some of their paint". From The Gardian

The last Kennedy auction earned 7 times what they estimated, netting $34.5m (£18m), earning it the title "the sale of the century".

This recent auction just strikes me as wierd. I don't know why. I just don't see why she doesn't donate to some museum or even give it away. It isn't like she needs the money. And these items aren't the quality stuff her mother had that brought so much money in last time. Oh well, her stuff, her life.

And finally, leave it to Jeff at Protein Wisdom to make a really sick news story into a really sick funny news story as only Jeff can. This is a take on the teacher, Debra Lafave, who had an affair with her 14 yr old student you might not have thought of. (warning---naughty alert).