Tuesday, November 30, 2004

The Belmont Club has this:

"Senator Norm Coleman has called for the resignation of UN Secretary General Kofi Annan for his role in the maladministration of the U.N. Oil-for-Food program. Coleman, who chairs the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations and a member of the Foreign Relations Committee charges that Annan allowed the Oil-for-Food program to become a covert program for subverting the very sanctions they were intended to enforce."

They have much more and really covers this whole scandal. I just cannot believe that Kofi Annan has not been asked to step down before now.
But I have to say it concerns me that Clinton wants this job. I wonder what the chances are that he could actually get it?


WND has an article about a Principal at a Georgia High School who recited a parody prayer over the intercom that has circulated the internet for years. Of course the usual "offended" parties called in. Here's the prayer:

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule.
For this great nation under God

Finds mention of Him very odd.
If Scripture now the class recites,

It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow

Becomes a federal matter now.
Our hair can be purple, orange or green,

That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise.

Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.
For praying in a public hall

Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,

God's name is prohibited by the state.
We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,

And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.

To quote the Good Book makes me liable.
We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,

And the "unwed daddy,'' our Senior King.
It's "inappropriate'' to teach right from wrong,

We're taught that such "judgments'' do not belong.
We can get our condoms and birth controls,

Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,

No word of God must reach this crowd.
It's scary here I must confess,

When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:

Should I be shot, my soul please take!
Amen.


Maybe not the best thing for a Principal to read, but there isn't a thing in there that isn't true and that is the saddest thing of all.



Rolling Stone has a interesting article on why Bush won. David Gergen points some voting trends about the democrats that I wasn't aware of:

"The Democrats are in danger of sliding down. They haven't won a majority of the white vote since 1964. They haven't won fifty percent of the national vote since 1976. And in the last six congressional elections -- starting with 1994 -- they haven't cracked 48.5 percent of the national vote. This is a party that needs to have some deep rethinking -- not simply go out and turn a few dials."

Although I find this encouraging, I don't see how the democrats can really 'rethink' things. They are who they are. What the elections depend on is who the voters want. My guess is that they will do the only thing that can be done. Sound centrist, but govern to the left when they get there.