Friday, November 07, 2008

Should I care?

A friend asked me yesterday what I thought of the continued Palin bashing. I didn't know what she was talking about.

You see, from the moment Obama won I haven't watched one second of news. I just couldn't bear it. I knew it would depress me. What I didn't realize that watching other things would depress me too.

Have you seen "The Housewives of Atlanta?" are some such nonsense. It's like the "Housewives of the O.C." It follows around a bunch of wealthy women. It proves that money cannot buy class or intelligence. I was horrified that people like this existed. Then there is this show about some skinny horribly dressed freak who, for some reason, is given the task of teaching dweebs how to pick up women. It's like watching a torture scene.

If it weren't for Scrubs re-runs and Reno 9-11 I think I may have thrown a brick into the TV.

I'm trying to only listen to the positive, upbeat and funny right now. I listen to "The Walton and Johnson Show" in the morning on the radio. If you aren't lucky enough to be in their listening area, I just feel sorry for you. They are naughty and hilarious. If you are feeling like me and need a good laugh, I would suggest you listen live online here.

Right now I don't want to care. I want to be one of those women who lose themselves in shopping. I want to care if my nails are done perfectly. I want to be the one who Tivo's Oprah so I can know what book to read for the year. I want to care who wins Project Runway. I want to want to read People magazine and care whether Brad and Angelina Jolie are happy (gee, I think I just described the "Wives of Atlanta"). I want to be shallow and uniformed. Let's face it. Life is easier that way. Caring about our country is too hard.

Caring about our country means being horrified that our media became a propaganda machine for Obama this election that would have made the 1980's Soviet Union proud. It means realizing that this same media can bribe state employees to get any kind of personal information on any of us and display it to the world and no one cares. It means that a Presidential candidate can spend $650 million dollars to get elected with hundreds of millions of those donations completely anonymous and no one sees anything wrong with that. It means that the momentous incredible fact that the surge worked and we decimated Al Qaeda inIraq and are bringing our boys home in victory instead of defeat, isn't important enough to get a mention in a Presidential election where the media's preferred candidate was completely wrong about it.

I can't ignore reality for long, I know. Bill Whittle has a beautiful piece over at Eject! Eject! Eject!. It ends with this:

There is much to do. That a man with such overt Marxist ideas and such a history of association with virulent anti-Americans can be elected President should make it crystal clear to each of us just how far we have let fall the moral tone of this Republic. The great lesson from Ronald Reagan was simply that we can and must gently educate as well as campaign, and explain our ideas with smiles on our faces and real joy in our hearts, for unlike the far-left radical who gained the Presidency on Tuesday, we start with 150 million of the most free and intelligent and hard-working people in the history of the Earth at our backs, with a philosophy that -- unlike theirs, which has resulted in 100 million dead in unmarked graves -- has liberated and enriched more people and created more joy than any nation or combination of nations in our history.

How can we lose this greater fight, my friends? How can we lose, unless we give up?


He got me.

I can't give up now, can I?