Thursday, November 06, 2008

No Gay Marriage in California

Isn't it interesting that Prop. 8 banning gay marriage lost in California?

From what I have read the Prop. 8 question was on the "no" side of the ballot. Obama carried California by 61%. So people had to make the effort to check yes, if you see what I mean. And let me say again...this was in California.

This was quite a victory for those who oppose gay marriage. It will put off legal gay marriage for many years.

Perhaps.

Obama has said he was for gay marriage before he ran for President and changed his tune, but make no mistake about it, he will do what he can to make it legal.

It's only a matter of time anyway. TV and movies have spent years mainstreaming the gay lifestyle into the culture of entertainment. Like most people, I have no problem with civil unions and I don't understand why that isn't enough. I feel that changing the definition of marriage will open a pandora's box that cannot be closed with people allowed to marry as many as they wish and all sorts of "marriages." No doubt in my mind about that.

I have taught my children to not judge gays. That is God's job, not ours. And after all, we are all sinners. Sexual sin is sexual sin no matter whether it is homosexual or heterosexual. I have taught my kids to respect others no matter how different. Respect is not the same as condone though. We can all respect each other even if we believe differently. Once again, it's all about the choices we make. We are blessed by our choices or we regret our choices. It's up to us. It always has been.

Given that and add the mix of our culture enforcing the belief that it is simply an "alternative lifestyle," The younger generation is fine with gay marriage, so it is only a matter of time.

In a humanistic society there is no reason to not have gay marriage or any kind of marriage. Marriage is religiously based. So as we move away from faith and religion, we move away from those constraints. We started moving away from those constraints with no fault divorce.

I wish we could focus our energies on strengthening marriage instead of changing it. But I really feel it doesn't matter to us much as a society anymore. I'm not sure what matters to us anymore.

For believers it reminds me of 1 Peter 5:8 "Control yourselves. Be on your guard. Your enemy the devil is like a roaring lion. He prowls around looking for someone to chew up and swallow."

We forget that. Even as Christians we only want to focus on the positive. We don't want to think about what we should be on guard for.

We hardly have the moral high ground when our divorce rate is 50%. We hardly have the moral high ground when we ignore when our children live together before the wedding. We aren't on guard. We just aren't.

Now, before it gets too depressing here, I'll offer this. There is a wonderful program in the Catholic Church called the Retroveille program. I've referred people to it and it has literally saved their marriage. It's not just for Catholics and it doesn't cost anything (I don't think). It isn't counseling in the traditional sense. Anyway, if you are about to give up on your marriage I would strongly suggest you give it a try. I've seen couples that were absolutely divorcing but just went so they could say they tried and came out of it renewing their marriage vows.

I guess I'm being more spiritual here than usual. That's the place I usually go when I am upset about the state of the world.