Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Guns and Roses

The roses are Obama's attempt to seem moderate on gun rights.

Obama has said that he believes that the Second Amendment protects an individual right, but that reasonable restrictions can be enacted.

ABC News:

On the Supreme Court ruling on the DC gun ban, Obama explained, “I actually have said I agree with that for years, even before the ruling came down. That doesn’t mean that I also recognized that we need to make sure that we’ve decent controls over the use of firearms in our community. Those two potions are not contradictory.”

But here is what he said in his book, The Audacity of Hope: “I believe in keeping guns out of our inner cities, and that our leaders must say so in the face of the gun manfuacturer's lobby.”

That is a difference of night and day from saying "Keeping guns out of the inner city" and "decent controls." Obama loves to use words to his advantage. He claims he is saying the same thing. But he really isn't.

Keeping guns out of the inner city means keeping law abiding citizens from protecting themselves because they live in a certain place. That isn't "decent controls." That is a violation of the 2nd Amendment.

It is beyond ridiculous to believe that any gun laws and any gun restrictions will keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Saying that you believe that a certain area where people live should ban guns is only speaking to law abiding citizens. We all know that.

If only criminals would obey!

I have never been a big gun rights person. But I'm starting to feel I may soon be.

via NRO

I wanted to add this I found at UrbanGrounds. I mentioned before that I wanted to get my concealed handgun license while the getting was good.

Looks like I'm not alone in Texas:

AUSTIN — More than 52,000 people in Texas have submitted an application for a first-time concealed handgun license or renewal since the beginning of the year, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
That is an almost 5 percent increase over the first six months of 2007, but there’s a good chance they’ll have a bit of a wait.


The crunch which some say is spurred by concerns about rising crime, the state’s new “castle law” and uncertainty about future gun laws has created a ballooning backlog of applications for the department.

There is no doubt in my mind that Obama would nominate Judges that would restrict our gun rights. The D.C. gun ban was so startling in that 4 Supreme Court Judges thought it perfectly fine to ignore the 2nd Amendment.