Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Obama's problem now

Sure, it's mainly Hillary's urelenting desire to win, but there is something that has been on my mind that no one has mentioned.

When Obama won Iowa he gave a speech that was one of the best political speeches I have heard in my lifetime. It was inspiring and uplifting. I was impressed by him. I wrote about whether the Democrats would nominate this refreshing breath of fresh air or the manipulating power machine that is Hillary.

But I didn't know who Obama was then. I took him at face value.

We know more about him now. And that is a problem for him. As I have watched all the speeches that he has given that have followed, I have notice that he isn't as inspiring and his rhetoric seems commonplace. I wondered what happened.

You see, Obama's biggest problem is that the wonderful inspiring speech he gave in Iowa is the kind of speech you can only give once. You can only speak in glowing vague terms for so long. When you are running for President you have to get beyond the platitudes. You have to tell us how you will do the things you promise.

You have to tell us who you are and what you believe.

Between all the associations of Obama's. From a unrepentant terrorist William Ayers, to his anti American pastor , to indicted political fundraiser Tony Rezko , and his far left votes in the Senate, we all learned who Obama really was.

He wasn't the uniter we had hope for. He showed his true feelings at a private fundraiser in San Francisco saying condescendingly that many people cling to their religion and guns and are bitter.

His speeches now resemble most political speeches. He defends himself against attacks and he attacks back.

That one speech in Iowa was his high point I'm afraid.

Obama may be a wonderful person. But his view of America is very different from mine. I don't think he sees America as "a shining city on hill" as Reagan did. When I listen to him, I don't think he sees much good about America, except for the fact that many Democrats seem willing to elect him now. It is certainly the only thing that has made Michelle Obama proud in her adult lifetime. We know that.

But America is a nation of greatness. It is a nation that allowed my father, a child of poverty, born of a teenage mother who raised him alone, to be successful enough to give back to his country. Not only by his service in the army, but back to his community in a dozen different ways. It's a nation that isn't perfect, but strives to make right the wrongs. It is full of generous and loving people.

That is the way I see this nation. I just don't think Obama sees it that way, and that is really his problem now.