Monday, January 28, 2008

Hillary is going for the female vote...

...big time.

Clinton talked about the different perspective she would bring to the White House -- as a daughter, wife, and mother.

It seemed intended to connect with women voters. "I will bring to the White House my perspective as a daughter, as a wife, as a mother, because that's never been in the White House before," she said to applause and cheers from the crowd. "I know what it's like to have to be at work and your baby wakes up sick. I know what it's like when the babysitter calls in sick. I know what it's like when the appointment you thought would be done by time for you to pick your child up from school keeps going and going and you can't get out of it. I mean, I have lived this and I know how hard parents today are working."

And just how could she make a difference here? What government program is going to stop your baby from getting sick? What mandate on business is going to keep your meeting from going long?

It's always nice to pander to our biggest concerns when there really is nothing you can do about them.

There is no doubt that these are the kinds of concerns women have. But they can only be addressed by the marketplace and by personal choices, not government.