Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The Real World.

I don't mean the MTV show that makes anyone who watches it fear for the future. I mean the world outside of this political junkie cyber world.

Since I get my political fix here, I try not to get into politics too much out there. But I was curious about what some of my friends and family thought about the Presidential race so far and other things that have been happening In Washington and elsewhere. So I ventured out and asked them.

I am not kidding you when I say that many of my friends asked me who was running for President on the Republican side. They say that all they hear about is Hillary and Obama. My older children's friends actually thought that that was who was running for President in the general election. Hillary vs. Obama.

Some of my friends asked if McCain was still running because they liked him, but hadn't heard a word about him on the network news or morning shows. They had never heard of Ron Paul. They did know about Fred Thompson and wanted to know what I thought of him. Beyond his being on "Law and Order" they didn't know much about him.

You know all the things we argue and discuss here? Rudy and his NRA speech phone call, McCain saying he was suddenly Baptist, Hillary's little Hsu problem, SCHIP legislation? They never heard of any of it. Debates? What debates?

They had heard of John Edward's haircut, but not Hillary's healthcare proposal. They knew about Jena 6, but no details. They did know that the President of Iran had said there was no gays in his country, but that was about all they knew about the whole Columbia University's disgraceful mess. I think unless Jon Stewart or SNL makes fun of it, people don't know about it.

I asked about the Rush controversy and all they know is that he called some soldier "phony."

There you have it. No one, and I mean no one is paying attention. They don't care if Hillary took dirty money, they don't care about resolutions in the Senate about Rush Limbaugh (and frankly, neither do I) They don't know who the front runners are on the Republican side (which is not good news actually). They don't know Clarence Thomas wrote a book. They don't know a California elementary school caved and agreed to celebrate Ramadan along with Santa and Halloween. They understand that things are going better in Iraq, but don't know why we have to stay over in that God forsaken place any longer for people who don't even appreciate it.

Now, I am sure that many of you have friends that are paying attention and know all about what is happening in the news, but guess what? I think we can all agree that these people I talked to represent most of America right now. The rural areas, the suburbs, the inner city, the younger generation, the ones working too hard, partying too hard, or who just don't care.

I suppose this is why we have the primaries. I suppose this is why I sit in front of this computer for too long during the day. I have to know what's going on. But I wish I was more like my friends. Ignorance is bliss and all that.