Sunday, April 09, 2006

Let's talk McCain.

Because I know ya'll love it so much!

The Captain has an excellent post on McCain's ever evolving political moves. I have to disagree a bit with him though. All my libertarian/conservative friends HATE McCain for pushing through the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, which restricts political speech based on proximity to the election. I totally understand it. But did it ever occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, it might help in all the vile evil last minute personal attacks that might be avoided here? (The last minute revelation of the DWI Bush received when he was young comes to mind) The Democrats waited until the last minute for a reason you know!

I mean, it does have some substance to it. You may disagree, but you have to admit that. It is bad to want to restrict political speech, but given what political speech has become you can hardly blame someone for wanting to do so. Having said that, I DO disagree with it.

The Captain goes on to bash McCain over the immigration compromise. You all know my feelings on this. Compromise is the ONLY solution. It's time for us to all realize this or NOTHING will get done.

It is not hypocritical to reach out to the far right closer to election time. Every Republican candidate does it.

Look. I know McCain isn't perfect, but in the next year I will try to convince you of why he is our best chance to keep the Republicans in power.