Friday, July 15, 2005

A Soldier's thoughts.


Sometimes when I am surfing through the Milblogs I come across something written by one of our soldiers in Iraq that is so sweet and honest I just have to share it. This is from Blog Machine City talking about missing his new wife:

"She's been extraordinarily considerate and understanding - almost unbelievably so, considering that she said to me that she didn't want to become an Army wife and I made her one anyway. (Muahahaha!) But when I dream at night, I don't dream of her - I dream of nothing but B Company, in every conceivable situation. At parties, in combat, just sitting around - it's a red-letter night if at least one member of this damn unit isn't visiting me in my sleep. As Agent Smith said in The Matrix:

I'm going to be honest with you. I hate this place...this...zoo, this...prison, this...reality...whatever you want to call it. I can't stand it any longer.

It's great that I can chat with her every day from the comfort of my room, but we both often wonder if there's really a person on the other end, or if it isn't just some Turing machine, issuing programmed responses. How would either of us know?

Having my head down for so long, staring at my feet, watching one foot land in front of the other, one day at a time - one day I'm going to look up and Melobi will be there, and the World, and Iraq will be behind me. Or...so I assume, but there's no way of knowing until I get there."

It makes my heart ache. It really does.