Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I'm Back!!

It is sooo good to be home. I am just now catching up on the news. It is interesting to hear from family members who don't have the interest in politics that I do. They see these stories like Rove and Durbin and Gitmo as boring and blown out of proportion for political reasons.

My heart goes out to the people of London who lost loved ones in the terrorist bombings. I am amazed that something similar hasn't happened here. I am also convinced that the reason it hasn't happened is because of the Patriot Act and rounding up those who would do us harm and putting them in Gitmo. I have heard that European news focus on America's supposed mistakes. I am curious to see if the bombings will force the media to focus on the real enemy here, the terrorists.

I want to emphasis something that BigDog had in the previous post that I don't think should be missed. The interview between Ron Reagan and Christopher Hitchens. Hitchens is a liberal that truly gets it when it comes to terror.

The argument should be read. But here are some key points that Hitchen's made:

"...these movements had taken over Afghanistan, had very nearly taken over Algeria, in a extremely bloody war which actually was eventually won by Algerian society. They had sent death squads to try and kill my friend Salman Rushdie, for the offense of writing a novel in England. They had sent death squads to Austria and Germany, the Iranians had, for example, to try and kill Kurdish Muslim leaders there. If you make the mistake that I thought I heard you making just before we came on the air, of attributing rationality or a motive to this, and to say that it's about anything but itself, you make a great mistake, and you end up where you ended up, saying that the cause of terrorism is fighting against it, the root cause, I mean. Now, you even said, extraordinarily to me, that there was no terrorist problem in Iraq before 2003. Do you know nothing about the subject at all? Do you wonder how Mr. Zarqawi got there under the rule of Saddam Hussein? Have you ever heard of Abu Nidal?"

"Have you ever heard of Abu Nidal, the most wanted man in the world, who was sheltered in Baghdad? The man who pushed Leon Klinghoffer off the boat, was sheltered by Saddam Hussein. The man who blew up the World Trade Center in 1993 was sheltered by Saddam Hussein, and you have the nerve to say that terrorism is caused by resisting it? And by deposing governments that endorse it?"

"When I went to interview Abu Nidal, then the most wanted terrorist in the world, in Baghdad, he was operating out of an Iraqi government office. He was an arm of the Iraqi State, while being the most wanted man in the world. The same is true of the shelter and safe house offered by the Iraqi government, to the murderers of Leon Klinghoffer, and to Mr. Yassin, who mixed the chemicals for the World Trade Center bombing in 1993. How can you know so little about this, and be occupying a chair at the time that you do?"

How can America know so little as well? Because they are constantly thrown stories that don't matter (like the Michael Jackson case) and are not given the important information because it isn't "exciting."

Thanks to BigDog for helping me out here!