Sunday, March 20, 2005

UPDATE ON TERRI SHAVIO LEGISLATION.

I decided to put this post at the top as well. It needs to be read.

At 12:35 CT, The Democrats who oppose this legislation started a news conference. Rep. Jim Davis from Florida began it. But the airing of it started before they obviously were aware of it. It started with laughter from the press core. Then Jim Davis says "I'm sure they will." and then more laughter. And one reporter yells out, "yeah right." And then Rep. Davis smiles and says, "We will encourage them to." Small laughter and then they THOUGHT the news conference was starting. Rep. Davis begins by offering his sympathies to the family.


Yeah right.

You were being real sympathetic there when you thought the cameras were not on. I wonder what was so funny? Maybe someone can find out?

They make me sick.

Update: Well, it passed. Bush signed it. We will see how it goes.
This whole situation is just sad. I don't want just the feeding tube put back. I want Terri's parents to be able to care for her. This man, Terri's husband, has moved on to a new life. Nothing really changes if he doesn't let them take care of her.

I know my personal feelings on issues of life color this, but I just saw an interview with Terri's husband from 2003 with Larry King and he came off as very insincere. I didn't get the feeling that he was emotionally involved with her at all anymore. And I can even understand that. He has a woman he loves and children. But as any parent will tell you, that never happens with your child. There is no doubt her parents love her and want to take care of her. They have not moved on. And they never will. It's time for the parents to have guardianship.

I truly got the feeling in listening to Michael, that it was more about NOT letting the parents have their way than anything else. It seems to be about his pride.

One more thing. We need to give some credit to the Democrats that climbed on board here. Sometimes they do the right thing. This was one of those times.