Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bless This Democrat For Doing The Right Thing

From The Hill:

Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) on Tuesday threatened that he may work with Republicans to torpedo healthcare reform unless he gets a vote to strip abortion-related provisions out of the House bill.

Stupak wants a floor vote on a measure that would prohibit taxpayer funds from being used for abortions. And in an interview on C-SPAN on Tuesday, he suggested if Democratic leaders don’t give him the vote, he’ll work with Republicans.

It gets better:

According to Rep. Joe Pitts (R-Pa.), an ardent opponent of abortion rights, Stupak is confident in the support he has within the Democratic Caucus. Stupak said he has about 40 Democrats who will vote no on healthcare reform unless Democratic leaders change their bill on the abortion language.

Sometimes I see a glimmer of hope for the Democratic party. This is one of them. Start being the party of life, the one who stands up for the most vulnerable in our society, and then I will have respect for you again.

There are many issues that I disagree with with the Republican party. Believe it or not, I would LOVE to be able to consider voting for a Democrat. I would love for all people to respect the value of human life so we could concentrate on other issues.

It's pretty simple. Without the right to life, all other rights are moot.

Whether a politician understands this is fundamental to me. A leader, to me, must respect the value of human life. I can tell you right now, with all I know about Stupak, I would vote for him, if I were in Michigan, over a pro choice Republican any day.