Friday, August 21, 2009

Take Me Down to the Market

Posted by BigDog

Ironically, I would never have read the article by John Mackey about health care in the WSJ if it were not for the liberal outrage and boycott of Whole Foods. For the record, leftists are free to boycott Whole Foods, just as Mackey is entitled to his opinion. I don't shop at Whole Foods although I am told their steaks are really good.

Mackey's list of reforms is similar in some ways to mine in a previous post. Portability, being able to purchase across state lines, tort reform. He has a couple ideas that I am adding to my own list: Repealing gov't mandates on what is covered and voluntary tax deductable donations to help those who can't afford coveage.

What really strikes me is this one:

"Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair."
I was very impressed when I read this because Mackey makes it clear that Whole Foods has a good medical plan itself. Such a plan is a competitive advantage and by advocating equalizing tax laws, he is nullifying his own advantage for the sake of principle and fairness.