Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Clunker Dilemma

I've had this dilemma regarding the "Cash for Clunkers" program. My 16 yr old drives a clunker that probably isn't worth $1000. It was passed down from my oldest son. I figured if the usual mishaps and fender benders happen, then it wouldn't be so bad. But knowing that I could get $4,500 for it toward a new car is very tempting.

On the other hand, do I want to contribute to a ridiculous program that is nothing but a government give a way? But my friends tell me it's my taxpayer money paying for it, so I might as well take advantage of it.

When the government first conceived of this program it required that Americans buy American made cars, but the adminstration wasn't up on fair trade laws, and someone informed them they couldn't do that, so they had to drop that part.

Guess what happened? Four of the five top-selling cars in this program are made by foreign automakers. The top selling American car is the Ford Focus. Not surprising since a recent poll showed 46% of Americans said they are more likely to buy a car from Ford because it was the only car company that didn't take bail out money.

Then there is the writer at NRO who said he wanted a big truck. So what he is thinking of doing is turning in his clunker, getting the $4,500 discount and buy a new small car, drive it for a few months until the cash for clunkers thing is over, and then sell his almost new car for what he bought it for, and then buy his truck.

It's called 'getting around the system.'

Anyway, I'm leaning towards not doing it. It doesn't feel right and if he had a new car and wrecked it or had a fender bender, having a new car would make it worse. And there is the additional insurance.

What do you guys think?