Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A Rock Star, Not a Leader

I know I haven't been blogging about all the "gaffes" of Obama overseas. Yes, it is tempting to write about how the press would have reacted if Bush had thought "Austrian" was a language, but didn't we hate that? It was so ridiculous to go over and over the mistakes and gaffes like they did with Pres. Bush.

I know the feeling is that turnabout is fair play, but I just can't get into it.

My overall feeling of the G-20 summit and the NATO conference was just frustration. I don't like to see my President whine. I don't like to hear him call America "arrogant" and "derisive," because I don't believe we are. I don't like hearing him say "we may not always have the best answer," because I believe we do.

What Reagan always understood was that one negotiates from a position of strength. Obama seems to negotiate from a position of regret. It's not leadership stuff. It just isn't. He talked more about "listening" than leading. The latter should have come first.

This whole overseas trip really was only about one thing...Obama The Rock Star. It was about Obama showing the world that America really isn't that bad.

Ugh.

In reality, other than his pretty speeches, Obama didn't achieve much. Not that you would notice that, with the press rolling around at his feet like a puppy dog waiting for a snack.

Pres. Obama asked for an increase in global stimulus efforts, but simply nothing came of that. He had hoped to get a bit of help in Afghanistan and that was pretty much ignored. And lastly, and most embarrassingly, just as Obama's soaring rhetoric was pleading for a world without nuclear arms, N. Korea fires a long range missile as a nice backdrop for that pretty speech. Later Obama would say, ""North Korea broke the rules, once again, by testing a rocket that could be used for long-range missiles." Broke the rules? Like it was a school child that wrote on the bathroom walls. Good grief. We can't even get strong language here, much less a strong reaction.

Let me just say what no one else will say. Under Obama, the U.S. nor the U.N. are going to do a dang thing to N. Korea until a missile hits a city, and we all know that and N. Korea knows that too. Same thing with Iran.



The Rock Star returns to the United States, still a rock star, but not a leader.

Oh, but didn't Michelle look fabulous? *eye roll*