Thursday, August 07, 2008

Condi and Obama

From Politico:

I don’t need another job in government with anybody,” she said. “Look, I’m a Republican, all right? Sen. McCain is a fine patriot, and … he would be a great president. But there’s something to be said for fresh blood. And I know that there are a lot of very good people who could be his vice president.”

During the interview in a regal room at the State Department appointed with chandeliers, rich carpets and cases of porcelain, Rice was asked: “Would you feel safe with a President Obama?”

“Oh, the United States will be fine,” she responded. “I think that we are having an important debate about how we keep the country safe. I think we are having an important debate about our responsibilities, our obligations, our interests in the Middle East in the wake of the now increasing evidence of success in Iraq. Those are important judgments for the American people to make.”

I think Condi answered this the only way she could and I actually think she did a pretty good tap dance doing it.

I've said this before. There is nothing wrong with the black community being proud that a black is a nominee for President. It's historic. Pure and simple.

As much as I disagree and frankly loathe Hillary, there was still a part of me that thought it would be cool to have a woman being the nominee. I want it to a conservative woman, but still. You can't help but have a connection to something that has never been done before.

I know Condi feels that. After all, she is pretty historic herself. The first black woman National Security Advisor and the first black woman Secretary of State. It says something wonderful about our country that we can go from where we were in the 60's, when blacks were hardly able to vote and certainly not encouraged to do so, to what we have now.

I know that Bush has spoken with Obama about things pertaining to the war on terror. Perhaps Condi has as well or has privy to these conversations? And maybe Obama assured them of his commitment to keeping us safe? I don't know, of course, but that might give her reason to think that our country will be fine.

And really, we will be. If an attacked occurred again, even with a liberal President, the public would push what needed to be done.

The problem is the details. The devil is always in them. The reason I would want McCain at the helm is because of knowledge and experience. Not just a "belief" about things.

Condi probably is proud of Obama and there is nothing wrong with that. I wonder if Obama is proud of Condi? Maybe someone should ask him that?