Friday, December 14, 2007

Huckabee, Huckabee, Huckabee

It seems to be all anyone can talk about.

Michael Gerson at the WaPo wonders if Huckabee's acceptance of Gilchrist's (the minutemen founder) endorsement was the biggest mistake he could make.

Ron Paul is paying for trips to Iowa of two former Republican legislators from Mike Huckabee 's home state to criticize Huckabee's record on immigration and taxes.

Iowa Polls Drove Huckabee Surge

Real Clear Politics Stuart Rothenberg says a Huckabee candidacy could be a disaster as far as electability goes. Huckabee has no foreign policy experience. None.

Heading Right with Captain Quarters radio has an interview with Huckabee.

One more: Rich Lowery: Huckacide.

Ok, enough with the "Hucka{insert word} already.

To be honest, I wish all this buzz would go away. I understand why social conservatives like Huckabee, but I agree with Rothenberg, his electability in the general election is zero. We need the best person to be able to win against Hillary, not a newbie. We need someone who can effectively run this war. Huckabee has no experience there either. Also, although I am certainly a person of faith (nothing is more important to me), I am uncomfortable with Huckabee's mixing of faith and politics. Faith should be a part of who you are, not a part of your political campaign. I think that alienates too many Americans who don't share that faith.

There is also that "gut" feeling I have. It's nothing I can explain, but I just don't feel good about Huckabee. I'm sure he is a nice person, a good man, but he isn't what we need right now. We need to focus on someone who can win. We have good candidates. McCain, Romney, and Thompson are who we should be focusing on. Not Huckabee and not Rudy.

Let's get to it.