Sunday, April 16, 2006

What Does Jesus Look Like?

My parents gave me this portrait of Jesus when I was baptized. It hangs in my bedroom. Yesterday my youngest son asked me if this is what Jesus looked like. I told him no, that this was just an artist's rendering of Jesus. "What does Jesus look like?" he asked. And this is what I told him.

"When you bring dinner for a family who just had baby. That is what Jesus looks like. When you serve food at a soup kitchen. That is what Jesus looks like. When you stop and change a stranger's tire even when it makes you late for work. That is what Jesus looks like. When you hold a friend's hand who is sick from Chemo and visit her in the hospital every day. That is what Jesus looks like. When you help a scared young girl to have her baby. That is what Jesus looks like. When you forgive a relative who has hurt you. That is what Jesus looks like. When you love someone even when they aren't the person you want them to be. That is what Jesus looks like.

Never let anyone tell you who Jesus was. He told us who he was. But he didn't tell us what he looked like because he knew that we would know what he looked like......

through us."