Friday, February 24, 2006

The New KKK.

I never thought there would be a group in this country that I would be more disgusted with than the KKK. But now there is Fred Phelps group who has been known for years for railing against gays at funerals, and he has spawned another hater, his daughter who now also "protests" at military funerals. Equal opportunity haters I suppose. His so called "church" only has about 100 members who are nearly all Phelp's relatives. He is not affiliated with any Baptist Conference or other organization.

It makes one grit their teeth that Phelps uses free speech to do these HORRIBLE protests, but now we have another group to the rescue, Patriot Guard. The group started in Kansas in October, when biker veterans decided to show up and place themselves between the demonstrators and mourners. They generally surround the protesters with their backs to them. They will hold up large flags to cover the picket signs and rev the engines of their motorcycles to drown out any chanting.

The organization has grown quickly with chapters in nearly every state and more than 8,700 members, about 100 of them so far in Minnesota. Read about them here.

I posted at my disgust with Phelps when he was busy at gay funerals, and now military. Not only is his message the opposite of Christianity, his actions go against any shred of decency.

If there is one thing the left and right can agree on it's that this guy is a hate filled idiot. I encourage everyone to get involved in Patriot Guard. If you hear of a funeral near you that the Phelps group will be attending, please contact Patriot Guard and show up to show support for common human decency.

I actually saw Phelps years ago at Disney World on gay day. As we were driving toward the park and he was there with his nasty little group holding signs that said "God hates fags." My oldest son yelled out the window (with no prompting from me, he was 10) "God doesn't hate anyone!!!" and then turned to me and said, "What's a fag?" My husband said, "A cigarette, that's what the British call them." My son said, "Oh, well maybe God does hate them." We laughed and then I told him in a roundabout way what fag meant here. No big details were needed. All he needed to know what that it was a person and God loves all his children.

via The Captain.