Thursday, September 29, 2005

Tom Delay And Politics As Usual.

Tom Delay's recent indictment by a Texas grand jury for allegedly conspiring to violate a Texas ban on corporate campaign contributions has delighted Democrats. Delay has been a force to be reckoned with in Texas and Washington, no doubt. The man after Delay, Travis County District Attorney Ronnie Earle's has long been known in this state to go after his political enemies, Republican or Democrat.

I listened to Delay's response yesterday. I could not understand the different campaign donation laws enough to surmise if he actually did anything wrong. I suppose the courts will sort that out and if he did do something illegal, then he should be punished. He says, of course, that it is a witch hunt and this same guy went after Kaye Bailey Hutchinson years ago, and failed miserably there. I have never been a big fan of Delay. I know he has done a lot for the GOP in getting Repubicans elected, but there is just something about him that doesn't sit well with me. I have no real basis for it except my gut instinct about people.

If it turns out that this is a witch hunt, then it is time to put a stop to people who go after politicians for political reasons. It is this kind of thing that keeps good people out of politics. I don't know why anyone would want to go through this kind of thing for public service. I know I wouldn't.

There will be a backlash here. This seems to be the same scenario that happens over and over. The Democrats lash out in some way and the GOP can not just let them get away with it, so they lash back. It seems we are always on the defense. The attacks seem neverending. So expect the big fight back. I have read that we can look forward to probes into finance campaign contributions for House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California, Democratic Congressional Committee Chairman Rahm Emanuel (D-Ill.), Representative William Jefferson of Louisiana, and Senator Jon Corzine of New Jersey.

Oh what fun! What a colossal waste of time and money just to prove that "everybody does it" before the 2006 elections. Is it any wonder that so many people hate politics and feel it is useless to vote?