Sunday, May 01, 2005

What If You Were Murdered?

As is stated in my profile, I am an avid reader. I read everything from politics to religion to literary fiction (my personal favorite) to science fiction. My mom, however, is crime/murder mystery fiction FANATIC. She sends me boxes of books every few months, so I read them as well.

I have noticed a theme in these books that got me to thinking (ohhhh... Such a dangerous thing!) The detectives on a murder case always search through the victims things to discover anything about their personal life that might be connected to their murder. I am sure you have seen the same thing on Law and Order, or CSI, or any of those crime shows that I don't watch. Anyway, it got me to thinking about what a detective would find out about me if I was murdered by going through my nightstand, closet, bookshelf, and computer. What would my friends and family say?

I think it would be an interesting experiment for all of you that are reading this to go into your rooms with a pencil and a paper and write down what is in your nightstand, what you read, what is hidden away in your closet, and on your computer. (yes, even the stuff you think no one knows about) Look at it when you are done and ask yourself what it says about you. I bet you might be surprised at how it might look to a stranger.

I won't bore you with everything I have, trust me....Nothing exciting. But I think the only "different"thing about me is that with all my makeup, bubble bath, bath and bodyworks stuff, and expensive perfume it would be obvious that I am a girly girl. But you would find no women's or beauty magazines in my house. Just political and religious magazines and National Geographic. Also, I have nice clothes but not a lot of clothes. I hate shopping. My closet is well organized because I keep ALL my clothes there. All seasons, all purses and shoes. I have no chest of drawers. I just don't have as much stuff as most women. I like simple things that rarely go out of style. I don't like clutter and I don't like having too much stuff.

I suppose if a detective really wanted to find out about me, all he would have to do is read my blog. Anyway, I thought it might be an interesting experiment if ya'll did it and comment here on what surprised you on how it would look to someone who didn't know you.

We really are never promised tomorrow. So even if you aren't murdered and you just die of natural causes or an accident, what would your relatives find? And what would it say about you? If you find things that make you a bit ashamed, then maybe it's time to get rid of them. Maybe it's time to reassess who you are and who you want to be.

I hope I am not sounding like Tony Robbins/Billy Graham here.....;-) Now go do it. Pencil and paper.....GO!