Friday, January 07, 2005

Punish the past. Praise the Present.

(CNN) -- Edgar Ray Killen, an 80-year-old Mississippi man, was arrested Thursday in the 1964 killings of three civil rights workers whose bodies were buried in an earthen dam outside the town of Philadelphia.

The article goes on to describe the way in which law enforcement officers were always involved in covering up murders of black men. This is the kind of thing I grew up with. This is what so many leftist don't understand when they moan and groan about how there is such injustice for people of color. I just want to scream. You want to see injustice?? Go back to Mississippi in 1964 buddy, THAT is injustice.

What is truly astonishing to me is how much changed and how quickly it changed. In less than a generation we turned around everything. My children cannot even imagine not having someone of color as a friend. My daughter went to homecoming with a good friend of hers, a nice young black boy who also happened to be the homecoming Duke. That would have been UNTHINKABLE when I was 15. If I had even tried to do that it would have been headline news in Jackson Mississippi and we probably would have been threatened and I shudder to think what would have happened to the boy. I mentioned that to my daughter and she looked at me with unbelief. She asked me if I was kidding. It was something she just couldn't wrap her mind around. And this all changed. 25 years later that kind of thing cannot even be believed.

So when Jesse Jackson rants about nothing changing and blacks still having to suffer under 'voter disenfranchisement' or racial profiling ect. I know that Jesse Jacskon is just in it for the fame. He was there in the '60's. I met him in Mississippi. He knows how bad it was. Now, not only does the law protect people of color, but our children's generation see each other for who they are, not their skin color. Is there still racism? Sure. As long as there are stupid people there will be racism. But today is so different. Every opportunity is out there for people of color, just as it is for white people. It is those people who make their living stirring up conspiracy theories and perpetuating a false overblown belief in overt racism like Jackson and Sharpton that continue to make us view each other by the color of our skin instead content of our character.

Have you ever noticed that it is always conservatives that use that quote from Dr. Marin Luther King, not the liberals?