Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Dean and the DNC/O'Reilly's Factor for adults and kids.

Howard Dean just announced that what is needed is a "new version" of the democratic party. via Fox News. (TV)
Dean seems to have his eyes on the DNC chair. He basically said that the democrats need to stop focusing on certain states in the Presidential election, and bring their message to all states. (oh I think that all states DID get the message Mr. Dean). But the most laughable quote was this:

"If moral values were what decided this election , then the democrats would have won."

Oh yeah. Right.

You Big Mouth, You! has a neat post on an American Soldier. Although I am not a believer in women being in combat at the front lines, this chick truly rocks.

NRO has this take on Bill O'Reilly's recent defense of Dan Rather. h/t to Treacher.
The thing the article and many other blogs have failed to mention is the obvious reason he was defending Rather and it had nothing to do with Rather. With O'Reilly it is always about him. don't get me wrong. I enjoy watching him and I agree with him most of the time and love his blunt style, but the whole phonefootsie thing just blew it with me.

When O"Reilly wrote "Any accusation can be dumped on the Internet and within hours the mainstream media will pick it up," writes the Fox News star. "A click of the Internet mouse can wipe out a lifetime of honor and hard work...."
"Dan Rather did not get what he deserved in this case.
He made a mistake, as we all do, but he is not a dishonest man. Unfair freedom of speech did him in. This is not your grandfather's country anymore."

Notice he said "as we all do." He was talking about himself, not Rather. He couldn't give an Irish ass about Rather. O'Reilly is the most straight talker there is. If he did not do what his producer said he did, he would flat out say it.
I don't think he harassed her, I think they were both enjoying the sexy talk, but he could hardly say that, could he?

I'm not judging him, he is right, we all make mistakes. I just don't like him using this Rather thing to covertly defend himself.

What got me to thinking about this was a present my 12 yr old got for his birthday from his aunt. It was "The O'Reilly Factor For Kids."

I should have known something was up when he was engrossed in reading it on a Friday night usually reserved for non stop video gaming. The next night when I found him reading in his room, I decided it was time to investigate.

It was the sex chapter, of course! Now keep in mind this book is suppose to be aimed at 10-16 yr olds. Not only does Bill write about his waiting to have sex unti he was 20, he does it in such a way as if to say, "Can you believe it?? A stud like me?? If I can wait, you can wait." I teach my children to wait until marriage and I really don't like them reading a "conservative' telling them that really it is 'great' just wait until you are older.

I admit that I shelter my children. I try to keep them as innocent for as long as I can. Although I feel 12 is an age where my son is ready to discuss sex ( and we have ) There are some aspects that I feel need to be held off a bit. O'Reilly gets right into safe sex, STD's, slutty behavior, and birth control. Needless to say, I was answering a lot of questions.

Yeah, yeah, don't be telling me it's time to discuss all those things. I am the one who knows my child and I know when it is time to discuss these things. I have been through this twice already and every child is different.

It kinda ticked me off that this was in the book because I had heard a lot about it didn't occur to me that he would get so explicit with sex. (He discusses how boys use girls sexually and then drop them for example). It is fine for him to write this, but a little bit of a warning would have been nice.

I admit that I should have looked the book over. But it was a gift. I had heard about it and heard nothing controversial. So it just didn't occur to me to look. My bad.


Guess I should be glad he didn't have a chapter on phone sex.