Friday, October 24, 2008

The Point Of No Return

I try really hard to tell myself that if Obama is elected President it isn't the end of the world.

But reading Peter Robinson's piece at Forbes I started to feel that trickle of fear in the back of my heart.

Thomas Sowell believes this election will prove decisive.

"There is such a thing as a point of no return," Sowell says. If Obama wins the White House and Democrats expand their majorities in the House and Senate, they will intervene in the economy and redistribute wealth. Yet their economic policies "will pale by comparison to what they will do in permitting countries to acquire nuclear weapons and turn them over to terrorists. Once that happens, we're at the point of no return. The next generation will live under that threat as far out as the eye can see."

"The...vision [of Barack Obama] is really an elitist vision," Sowell explains. "This man [Obama] really does believe that he can change the world. And people like that are infinitely more dangerous than mere crooked politicians."

Thomas Sowell is no screaming pundit. He is a quiet thoughtful intellectual. He is a senior fellow of the Hoover Institution at Standford University and I have always had great respect for him.

I look at the wall of money, fame, media adulation, and Hollywood adoration of Obama and I wonder how we are even close. But we are.

Obama uses beautiful words to seduce a nation. The thing about seduction? There is never love that drives it. Only lust. Lust for power in this case. Seduction is powerful. Reasonable people can lose themselves in it.

McCain is now facing that wall of seduction and fame. But McCain has faced large seemingly insurmountable walls before. For two years of his prison stay in Hanoi, while in solitary confinement, he had nothing but walls in his life.

I may be afraid, but I know that McCain is not. And I also know that no wall can defeat him.