Friday, September 14, 2007

If you missed the President's speech last night...

Here it is.

I missed it. I had a son's football game to go to. I'm reading it now.

This part strikes me as key:

The success of a free Iraq is critical to the security of the United States. A free Iraq will deny al Qaeda a safe haven. A free Iraq will counter the destructive ambitions of Iran. A free Iraq will marginalize extremists, unleash the talent of its people, and be an anchor of stability in the region. A free Iraq will set an example for people across the Middle East. A free Iraq will be our partner in the fight against terror – and that will make us safer here at home.

This has been my main reasons for continued support of the war. I have no doubt in my mind that fighting the terrorists in the Middle East has kept us safe here. No doubt. But beyond that, I feel it's critical to introduce the modern age into the areas of the Middle East that seem lost in time past. Shining the light of knowledge and freedom is never ever a bad thing. It is always a good thing. We have been 2 cultures that know nothing about each other for too long.

Before this war on terror, how many of you knew anything about Islam, much less radical Islam? How many of you knew about Burkas, and the sadistic behavior of Saddam Hussein? And what did they know of us? Even less. Only the propaganda of Saddam run television.

This is but one place to begin a new relationship with the Middle East. One place. In one time. History turns on such a thing.