Saturday, January 31, 2009

President Obama's half brother arrested on drug charges

Expect the 24/7 coverage of this that would have happened if it had been Pres. Bush's half brother.

Not.

It's not like it's his daughter's boyfriend's mother being arrested after all..;-)

The half-brother of President Barack Obama was arrested for alleged possession of marijuana on Saturday near his home in a Nairobi shantytown, police said.

Stoners across the country have been disappointed that Obama hasn't signaled any support of the legalization of pot since running for President. But it wasn't always that way. Maybe this will bring it up again.

Interestingly the Washinton Times had a story up a year ago today about Obama's past beliefs on the legalization of maryjane:

But as a candidate for the U.S. Senate four years ago, Mr. Obama told Illinois college students that he supported eliminating criminal penalties for marijuana use or possession, according to a videotape of a little noticed debate that was obtained by The Washington Times.

"I think we need to rethink and decriminalize our marijuana laws," Mr. Obama told an audience during a debate at Northwestern University in 2004. "But I'm not somebody who believes in legalization of marijuana."

But when he was running for President, Obama flipped a bit:

Last fall during a nationally televised presidential debate, Sen. Barack Obama hesitantly raised his hand and joined with most of his Democratic rivals to declare that he opposed decriminalizing marijuana.

It may be my libertarian streak, but I am actually for decriminalizing pot as well. Clogging up the court system with stoners is just a waste of time imo. Big fines and a court record of it at the most. I've never been convinced that pot is any worse than alcohol. In fact, when I was in theatre in college and around stoners all the time (and NO, I never tried it) I would much rather be around someone stoned, than a drunk frat guy, I can tell you that. When someone can convince me that pot is more harmful than drinking then maybe I'll change my mind.

Now, let's see how the press handles this little news item. Let the double standard begin. Obama will run from this as far as his legs will take him. That is for sure.