Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I get discouraged.

Sometimes when I am arguing over this war on terror here on on my TexasSparkle blog, I feel so discouraged that so many people don't get it. They don't see the danger we face. Dan Barnett over at Hugh Hewitt at first made me feel better by reminding me that very few people "got it" just before WWII:

"In 1938, those who accurately perceived Hitler were a tiny minority. Those who understood the aims of Imperial Japan were an even smaller minority. The countries that would win World War II had no idea what was coming.

AT LEAST TODAY, we have a debate. Every time someone mentions 1938 or 1939, it warms the cockles of my heart because it means someone else gets it. And happily, those of us who get it aren't a fringe minority - we may even constitute a thin minority."


He goes on with appreciation that the news finally does seem focused on highlighting the dangers of terrorism around the world. But then he ends it with this:

"The bad news is that the right side may not win it. In America, Europe or Israel."

Which discourages me again, because I know it's true and it doesn't have to be.