Saturday, March 25, 2006

Black Thoughts.

I watched another episode of FX's "Black/White. I also read some quotes from the participants after the show in People magazine. It was an interesting look at misconceptions that each race has about the other. I thought the most interesting thing was the difference in the attitudes of the kids. The kids really didn't seem that interested in exploring all aspects of race. The black kid said he didn't really see a problem. His mother was mad at him for letting white kids get away with using the "N" word while he was made up to be a white kid. He said it didn't bother him. I don't think my generation gets it that the young people today don't see epithets has bad. (which is too bad)

I'm just going to put my general view of things out there. I read a saying recently about why you should never tell your problems to people. It said 80% don't care and 20% are glad you have them. It made me think that that is just about the way I see white people's reaction to black concerns. 80% don't care and 20% are glad they have them. In other words I don't think white people see much of a problem because of all the gains made in the last 30 years and the laws that have been passed. And there is the small portion that is simply racist.

Let's be honest. The only reason Democrats make such a big deal out of black concerns is for the votes. Period. The Democrats are as much of a good ole boy white party as the Republicans are and that is the simple truth.

The one person that I think has a real handle on white/black issues is someone you might be surprised at my mentioning. Dave Chappelle. That's right, the comedian. Let me say upfront that I don't like the cussing, the vulgarity, and the use of the "N" word in his comedy, but so much of it is hilarious because there is so much truth to it.

I watched his interview with "Inside The Actor's Studio" and I was blown away with his insight into black/white differences. We laugh at the things we either know to be true or we know to be what people think are true. If you get a chance to see that interview on BRAVO, watch it. He really has profound and true things to say. He also portrays how damaging "fame" is and why he had to walk away from it last year.

Today some people use race for political reasons and that is the main problem. What it really comes to down to just getting to know one another. It doesn't matter if we have different styles or different ways of looking at things. We are all human. We all enjoy laughter, food, good music, and love. There are differences in general in everyone who grows up in a certain culture or even a certain town. Kids who grow up in New Jersey have a different way of talking than kids growing up in Mississippi. They have different tastes in foods and clothes. It is the same way with those raised in black neighborhoods and those raised in white neighborhoods. Differences are what make us interesting to each other.

Politically there are those who make a living off continuing to harp on black victimization like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and those just making a living doing excellent work like Condi Rice and Colin Powell.

After all that I saw and experienced growing up during the civil rights movement in Mississisippi, I can say without a doubt that everything has changed for the better for blacks. There is about as level a playing field as there is ever going to be. That is not to say that there still isn't racism. There will always be racism. You can't have a perfect society.

But we can have a better one. Let's just keep working on having a better one.