Thursday, February 24, 2005

Paranoia news....

This from MSNBC:

"A new type of organism discovered in an Arctic tunnel came to life in the lab after being frozen for 32,000 years."

It goes on to say:

"NASA described the newfound critter as "the first fully described, validated species ever found alive in ancient ice."
"They immediately started swimming when the ice melted," Hoover told LiveScience, adding that the cryopreserved bacteria were instantly ready to eat and multiply."


Is this really a good idea?? I mean I don't want some 32, 000 year old happy but deadly "critter" being BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE!
I am no scientist (as I am sure you have noticed) but since it is 32, 000 years old and never seen before, is it really a good idea to wake this bacteria up ready to "eat and multiply??" How could they know anything about it? I keep thinking about that movie with Dustin Hoffman and Cuba Gooding Jr. Where that weird strain of bacteria gets out from a monkey, becomes airborne when they didn't think it could and people start bleeding from their eyes and dying a horrible death. What was the name of that movie?
Anyway, I just hope THEY ARE BEING CAREFUL...;-)