Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Ongoing Attacks On Sarah Palin

My question for so many on the left is "Why do hate you Sarah Palin?" In all my years observing politics I have never seen such vile attacks on one person. I've written before why radical feminists and female leftwing writers hate her, and that is all about abortion. But I wonder about the everyday Democrat. I don't think they hate her. They may disagree with her beliefs, just as they disagreed with McCain or Romney. But I don't think it reaches the level of hate for everyday Democrats, like it does with the leftwing media.

I wonder what everyday Democrats think about the unending attacks on Palin. What do they think when a DNC official blogger post photoshops of Palin and her Down Syndrome baby with the baby's face photoshopped with an alien face. I wonder what everyday Democrat women think when the leftwing blogosphere makes crude sexual jokes about her and her daughters or when they photoshop pictures of her in a sexually crude way.

I think fair minded people of any political stripe think that the attacks must stop. Nothing this woman has done deserves this. We now know that Democrats have filed frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit on Palin, forcing her to constantly battle them. All have been thrown out. She accumulated over $500,000 in legal debt. Palin isn't rich like so many elite politicians. She has a regular family, with a regular income. Supporters began a legal defense fund for her to help cover the debt. The left has now filed a lawsuit saying that the only reason she is getting donations is because she is Governor, which is using her office for profit (she has nothing to do with the site btw). Of course the irony is that she would not have lawsuits to fight if she were not Governor.

This is what happened yesterday. The AP reported the following, but Palin immediately issued a statement saying that report was inaccurate:

An investigator for the state Personnel Board says in his July 14 report that there is probable cause to believe Palin used or attempted to use her official position for personal gain because she authorized the creation of the trust as the “official” legal defense fund.
The practical effect of the ruling on Palin will be more financial than anything else. The report recommends that Palin refuse to accept payment from the defense fund, and that the complaint be resolved without a formal hearing before the Alaska Personnel Board…
In his report, attorney Thomas Daniel said his interpretation of the ethics act is consistent with common sense.
An ordinary citizen facing legal charges is not likely to be able to generate donations to a legal defense fund, he wrote. “In contrast, Governor Palin is able to generate donations because of the fact that she is a public official and a public figure. Were it not for the fact that she is governor and a national political figure, it is unlikely that many citizens would donate money to her legal defense fund.”

"Were it not for the fact that she is governor and a national political figure?" Were it not for the fact that she is governor and a national figure, she would have no legal debt from people like you who have a political vendetta against her.

Palin posted this on facebook:

“I find the notion that I have taken any action pertaining to the legal defense trust fund misguided and factually in error. I am informed that this fund was created by experienced attorneys in DC and was modeled after other similar funds established for senators and others. The fund itself was not created by me nor is it controlled by me. Neither I nor my lawyer has received a penny from this fund, and I am informed the Trustee was withholding any action or payment pending final resolution with the Personnel Board. This is the hallmark of legal compliance and prudent conduct.
In short, I have not ‘acted’ relative to the defense fund and it is misleading to say I have. I have no doubt that the Trust will welcome guidance by the Board, as do we all, but it is my understanding that this matter was not resolved and the complainant’s violation of law has served to mislead the public and prejudice a fair review of this matter.”

Isn't it time for these attacks on Palin to stop? All fair minded people can see this for what it is. I think it's going to take everyday decent Democrats to demand a stop to this. It's up to them to rein in the political forces determined to do ANYTHING to damage Sarah Palin. It's time for decent Democrat leaders to demand this stop. I know you are out there. Step up to the plate and do the right thing.