Monday, September 29, 2008

Hurricane Bailout

That is what this is beginning to feel like.

The week before Hurricane Ike hit the Galveston/Houston, the skies were blue with wispy white clouds. They were beautiful warm clear days that gave no hint at the disaster that was coming. That Monday I heeded the warnings on the radio and went to the grocery store to stock up on water, batteries, and food. No one else was doing the same. I figured they were waiting until the last minute. On Wednesday I filled up the cars with gas. No lines.

By Friday the dire warnings coming from the news and weather channel had finally gotten some worrying. Galveston enacted mandatory evacuation and still 40% of the city stayed.

Why? Because it's hard to imagine a horrible storm when the skies are blue and the breeze is sweet.

I have a bad feeling that that is what is going on right now. I'm like most Americans. I think this bill stinks. It's ridiculous that we have to fund this bailout. The reasons, complicated as they are, are not American's fault. We are naturally ticked.

I've read and listened to people I trust on things like this. Smart people who know the markets and the banking system. They see a market disaster worst than what Hurricane Ike left in Galveston. I also listened to Lou Dobbs, who I have great respect for, rant until he his dimples turned red on how we should not do this bail out and there will be no disaster in the markets.

But I am a cautious person. I don't take chances. After listening and reading so much on this, I think we better stop looking at the blue skies and thinking the dark storm will never come, and we better do something to avoid what I'm afraid will bring us so much loss.

I think the House Republicans have made their points and have gotten their concessions. I understand the unfairness of Pelosi's attack and I understand their anger, but it's time to face what is coming.

If they have to change a few things more, then change them. Stop the bickering. Just do it.

I feel the wind blowing. Just do it.