Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Walk a Mile in His Shoes Continued...

You might recall my post on Donnie McClurkin, the black gospel star who has claimed to have been redeemed from his homosexuality and is headlining a tour for Barack Obama in South Carolina. The gays were not happy about it. Donnie got a lot of flack and Obama asked a gay minister on the tour to make up for it.

Well, you have to admire someone not willing to back down to political correctness. And after what McClurkin has been through, it doesn't surprise me. Here is what he said to the crowd:

"I'm going to say something that's going to get me in trouble...They accuse me of being anti-gay and a bigot. We don't believe in discrimination. We don't believe in hatred, and if you do you are in the wrong place at the wrong time. That's the whole premise of God. That's the whole premise of Christ is love, love, love. But there is a side of Christ that deals in judgment, and all sin is against God...Don't call me a bigot or anti-gay, when I have been touched by the same feelings. When I have suffered with the same feelings. Don't call me a homophobe, when I love everybody … Don't tell me that I stand up and I say vile words against the gay community because I don't. I don't speak against the homosexual. I tell you that God delivered me from homosexuality."

via Towleroad

I want to add to this. Because this isn't about being anti-gay or hating gays. This is about a man who feels he has been delivered from homosexual feelings. You are free to not believe him. You are free to believe that he is fooling himself. But he has every right to claim what his experience is. He has every right to say what Christianity teaches and it is not homophobic to say so. He is not a hater. He is not a bigot. He speaks from his own experience.

I grow tired of the gay activists who insist that you are either for gay marriage and accepting of all gay lifestyles or you are a gay bigot. It's no longer about allowing people to live their life as they wish, it's about forcing you and me to condone it.

I've had many gay friends in my life. They live their life and I live mine. I do things they don't like, they do things I don't like. That is life. I don't insist that they agree with me on everything. Why should they insist I agree with them?

We all live and work with people we disagree with. Does that make us haters? Of course not. It's all about common courtesy and respect. As long as we give each other that, then we can live with each other's differences.