Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Rebound Man.

Everyone here knows I love McCain. McCain is my hero. I forgive him for all his mistakes. But a girl always has to be looking for what could be her rebound man.

Mitt's my rebound man. Here is what I like about him:

He has been married to the same woman for 38 years and has five perfectly wonderful sons. This may not mean a lot to some of you, but it means something to me.

He's smart. He has business and law degrees from Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School. To say he was successful in life is putting it mildly. He's worth $250 million. Wow. He knows business and that's important. Too many leaders spend their whole lives in politics (see the Clintons) and never understand how regulation and taxes affect businesses.

Here is a story you might not know about Romney. In the summer 1996 a 14-year-old daughter of a Bain partner (his business) went missing in New York City. Mitt shut down Bain for a week (imagine!!!) while Romney and dozens of other employees flew to New York to walk the streets in search of the girl. They set up a command center in a hotel. They didn't find her, but she turned up a week later, safe in New Jersey.

Now that is impressive. Very impressive. It tells me what things matter to him and how much they mean.

Everyone knows about his success with being CEO of the 2002 Olympic Winter Games and that he was governor of Massachusetts. When he became Governor in 2003 he faced a projected $3 billion deficit. By 2006 the State had a $700 million surplus. Impressive again.

Many question his dedication to the social issues since he showed support for abortion rights and gay marriage in the past. He changed his views on both issues. Is it sincere? I can't tell you for sure. But I do know that in 2004, while researching embryonic cell research, he sought information from pro-life scientists to learn more about the issue. He says he had a change of heart, just like so many of us on the pro-life side (myself included) and I believe him. He says he against same sex marriage and I believe him there too.

In case you aren't up on all his views, here is a quick overview.

He's for the death penalty. He is for school choice. He calls for securing our borders. He opposes torture in prisoner interrogations. He advocates elimination the capital gains tax on everyone earning less than $200,000 and eliminating the inheritance tax. He opposes all tax increases. He wants to increase military spending and increase the military. He supports the war.

Is he as perfect as he looks? No. I don't agree with everything, just as I don't with McCain or anyone else running. But he's right on all the important things.

As far as him being a Morman? This is the way I look at it. Christ said you will know a tree by it's fruit. Mitt has led a good life. He seems to love his wife and has wonderful sons. There doesn't seem to be a hint of scandal around him. There won't be any skeletons falling from his closet.

The only concern I have is that he is a rookie at running for President. We all know how powerful this HillaryMachine is. I'm not sure a rookie can fight against it and win.

But this is a man who has won at many levels in his life. Not the least of which is just being a good man. Maybe goodness against a political manipulation machine can win.

We shall see.