Friday, November 04, 2005

I can't describe my disgust.

You have got to read this post at Mudville about how the New York Times "edits" or misquotes American GIs. This example is beyond the pale, mainly because the soldier is no longer with us.

"... the Times took these words from US Marine Corporal Jeffrey B. Starr:

"Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this, that is why I'm writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances. I don't regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom. It may seem confusing why we are in Iraq, it's not to me. I'm here helping these people, so that they can live the way we live. Not have to worry about tyrants or vicious dictators. To do what they want with their lives. To me that is why I died. Others have died for my freedom, now this is my mark."

And edited them down to this:

Sifting through Corporal Starr's laptop computer after his death, his father found a letter to be delivered to the marine's girlfriend. "I kind of predicted this," Corporal Starr wrote of his own death. "A third time just seemed like I'm pushing my chances."

Right. Let's just edit out all references to his patriotism and his belief and understanding of his mission, and make it seem that that he just saw it as a numbers game.

The New York Times makes me sick, sick, sick. Print all the anti-war rants you wish, just don't use and lie about our fallen soldiers to do it.

Scumbags.

UPDATE: From Media Blog-- "The mother of Cpl. Jeffrey B. Starr was on "The O'Reilly Factor" tonight. She said that in addition to quoting only the most negative parts of a letter Starr wrote to his girlfriend to be read in case he was killed, the Times made some factual errors, such as his date of death and how he died. She said the story overall did not portray her son accurately. The Times, which has already tried to defend the story's portrayal of Starr, will now have to look at whether it got basic facts right."

The Political Teen has the video from the O'Reilly show. (link at bottom of post)