Monday, October 10, 2005

Wake up call to Democrats!

In this interesting post and comments over at Protein Wisdom , it begins as a post about the mistreatment of women in Saudi Arabia, but ends with the left turning it into something else. Two commentes had very interesting things to say. The first is a Democrat who voted for Bush and why:

"I am left of center politically. I could list all the lefty positions I believe in, from Abortion to Zebra-protection, but the reason I vote (Federally at least) for Bush & the Rep’s is that the Dem’s have gone to far to appeasing their base & seem willing to simply let the terrorists kill & win if it hurts Bush. At this time in history with the new facists trying (yet again) to take over the world, I don’t have time for that garbage.

So in a few dozen years, when the facists are defeated, I will go back to pushing for my progressive values. Until the Dem’s can honestly offer to fight against those facists, I will go with those that will--even if I think their social views are wrong or even when they screw-up carrying out the war-- ‘cause at least they are willing to fight to keep the freedoms that this country has.

Until that freedom is safe, the interesting fight about, oh say, putting ‘In god we trust’ on the money being the moral equivlent of the Taliban’s stoning of the gays seems rather stupid & trival.

The next is a former Democrat:

"That is a good example why I view my former comrades on the left as damaged goods. Seems to me that it would be easy for people to find the common ground on which they both stand and move forward together. Most, I would think, agree that raping and beating women is bad. Most would agree that people should have the right to vote. Most would agree that people should live as free as possible as long as they’re not hurting anyone. There’s a great deal more that all Americans agree upon than disagree upon. The hurting begins when we get more hung up on the minor differences than the greater similarities.

The simple fact is that the liberation of Afghanistan and Iraq would have been heralded by both sides of the political divide if the president had a “D” after his name insteads of an “R”. The discourse of “yes, but” would not happen if some on the left weren’]t searching hard and fast for reasons to be against something they should clearly be for."

UPDATE: Redstate has more.