Thursday, October 13, 2005

Sad.

This from Miss Mabrouk of Egypt:

In Egypt, 94 percent of women thought it was acceptable to be beaten, as did 91 percent in Zambia. In Ethiopia between 94 and 91 percent of women between 15 and 49 years have been beaten and believe wife-beating is justified for at least one reason. As many as 70 per cent of married women in India between the age of 15 and 49 are victims of beating, rape or coerced sex. In Australia, Canada, Israel, South Africa and the United States, 40-70 percent of female murder victims were killed by their partners
I can't IMAGINE 94% (!) of women ANYWHERE would think that being beaten is ACCEPTABLE!

If there is one thing this war in the Middle East has opened my eyes to, it is the animal like treatment of women around this world. I remember years ago hearing Jay Leno's wife give a passioned speech on women's rights in these countries. (it has long been a cause of hers) But I never imagined the scope of the problem. Is it any wonder these women feel powerless in these countries?

When Karen Hughes recently went to Saudi Arabia she was told by the women there (who were supposedly more progressive) that they felt no need to drive or vote and such. Well, I suppose I would say that too if I knew a fist was waiting for me back home.

Disgraceful. Can these winds of change in the Middle East change any of this?

God. I hope so.

h/t Jeff