Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Anti-American? You decide.

I had a commenter ask me for some anti-American quotes from celebrities. I don't really listen or focus on celebrities so, believe it or not, I had not read most of these quotes. I picked out my "favorites" and I have to say I was pretty appalled. I thought you might enjoy seeing them together and you decide if they sound "un-American." I didn't even post the quotes slamming just Bush (except maybe the quote from Julia Roberts & Michael Moore) since you can certainly do that in a free country, but that was pretty appalling as well.

1)"“For example, new rule: No more whining about the French. At least they're standing up to the Bush administration, which is more than I can say for the Democrats! And, by the way, it doesn't make me un-American to say I'd rather live in Paris than in places where cheese only comes in individually-wrapped slices."--Bill Mahr

link:http://www.mrc.org/cyberalerts/2003/cyb20030224.asp#3

2)"I would like to apologize for referring to George W. Bush as a 'deserter.' What I meant to say is that George W. Bush is a deserter, an election thief, a drunk driver, a WMD liar, and a functional illiterate. And he poops his pants"-Michael Moore

* The motivation for war is simple. The U.S. government started the war with Iraq in order to make it easy for U.S. corporations to do business in other countries. They intend to use cheap labor in those countries, which will make Americans rich.-Michael Moore

* There's a gullible side to the American people. They can be easily misled. Religion is the best device used to mislead them-Michael Moore-

3)" I mean, George Bush is not Hitler. He would be if he fu--ing applied himself."-Margaret Cho

4)"To Canadians about government incentives for filmmaking, "It"’s to your credit that you do that for your country," he said. "We don"’t do a damned thing in our country, because we are pigs."-Ed Asner

5)"The real terrorist threats are George W. Bush and his band of brown-shirted thugs."-Sondra Bernhard

6)"No. First of all, I'm not liberal. I'm just about (being) anti-United States. I don't like the way this country operates. I think we've ruined this place. And I think it's largely because of businessmen. And businessmen are not liberals. So if that makes me a liberal, then that's just an association. It's not a choice."-George Carlin

7)"I believe he thinks this [war against Iraq] is a war that can be won, but there is no such thing we can't beat anyone anymore."-George Clooney

8)"America is dumb, it's like a dumb puppy that has big teeth that can bite and hurt you, aggressive."-Johnny Depp

*"I was ecstatic they re-named 'French Fries' as 'Freedom Fries'. Grown men and women in positions of power in the U.S. government showing themselves as idiots"-Johnny Depp

9)"Just so you know, we're ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas."-Dixie Chicks

10)"I don't know if a country where the people are so ignorant of reality and of history, if you can call that a free world."-Jane Fonda

11)"Our country is founded on a sham: our forefathers were slave-owning rich white guys who wanted it their way. So when I see the American flag, I go, 'Oh my God, you're insulting me."-Janeane Garofalo

12)"America has never paid any attention to other people, so it's absurd for Bush to say that it's all in the best interests of the Iraqi people."-Richard Gere

13)"Sometimes I'll be walking down the street and I'll hear some American and I'll just go, 'Of course they hate us, of course they can't stand us.' We're the most annoying, boisterous creatures in the world. I mean we come in and we eat mounds of food, and we're like, 'Where's the kaachup [sic] for our French fries.'-Kate Hudson

14)"I worry about bringing up a child in America. At the moment there's a weird, over-patriotic atmosphere over there, like, 'We're No. 1 and the rest of the world doesn't matter." -Gwyneth Paltrow

15)"One of the main purveyors of violence in this world has been this country, whether itÂ’s been against Nicaragua or wherever...I'’ve been an advocate for peace my whole life. But one of the main purveyors of violence in this world is this country."-Danny Glover

15)"Who the **** are we to say whether theyÂ’re better off? We have a dictatorship in this country. Our government is presently the greatest threat to our people."-Sean Penn

16)"He's embarrassing. He's not my president. He will never be my president."-Julia Roberts

Link:http://www.celiberal.com/showCeliberal.php?id=65